Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2007, 04:39 AM

Default NL10: SB steal attempt

This hand turned out strangely leaving me a bit confused. Initially, I just wanted to steal the blind and/or at least show that I'm active since people have been folding to my pre-flop raises so far.

We've played about 40 hands, where 3 times I've raised pre-flop which everyone folded; had QQ and twice AA. So I guess I was a bit disappointed...

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 7 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $9.85
BB: $9.55
UTG: $13.00
UTG+1: $6.70
MP: $10.50
CO: $3.30
BTN: $12.90

Preflop: Hero is dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7 Players)
5 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, BB calls $0.30

Seeing everyone folded, I thought my hand was good enough to attack the BB. Villain has been playing loose and has called other people's pre-flop raises, so his calling didn't surprise me too much.

Flop: ($0.80) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.50</font>, BB calls $0.50

I made a cbet of about 2/3 pot size hoping for a fold...

Turn: ($1.80) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.20</font>, BB calls $1.20

His call on the flop started giving me doubts. However, I felt the 6 here was giving me some outs at least and thought I could still go for the pot one last time.

Seeing him call my raise definitely wasn't good. Now, I'm really questioning my decision to raise him again... How bad is it? Was this a reasonable move or is was it desperate?

River: ($4.20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero ?</font>

The Ace obviously gave me some sight of relief. I guess, if he really had a set, he would have re-raise me on the turn to protect his hand against a possible flush. If he was drawing for a flush, it didn't come. If he had AQ... well, he should have re-raised me again on the turn.

So I'm pretty confident I've got the best hand, so the only question left is how much should I bet? Should I go for a pot size raise? half-pot size raise?