Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: help me design a poker class for high school

[ QUOTE ]
Most poker players lose, and find poker entertaining despite that. That is the primary role poker has in our society: Entertainment for people with money to lose. It is easy to get confused about this, and you shouldn't trust high school students who have never had a normal job to exercise good judgement. I'm very careful about what I tell college students, who are actually adults.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a realist's point of view on this and it is quite valid.

My point of view is more towards idealism. Your arguements sound the same as back in the time where educators wanted to introduce content in their classrooms to discuss sex and drugs. Parents then feared that their children would take this "adult" information and go out and become drug addicts or start having sex and getting girls pregnant and spreading STDs.

Perhaps you don't agree with teaching this type of content to high school age students as well, but I do. I see atrong parallel here teaching students about odds and probabilities and using games for the application and for examples. The same fears that parents had with sex education may be the same fears that they have seeing their children potentially being guided towards being "gamblers".

As I have pointed out earlier, and you alluded to as well, why can't we educate those students about negative expectation and show them that games of chance and money should be looked at as entertainment and show them the reason why?

Let's face it, poker is on TV and they are watching. Just like sex is on TV and they are watching.