Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Interested in starting a keeper basketball league

[ QUOTE ]
I was actually thinking of you as CM Friend 2. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Didn't actually realize you had a 2+2 account.

For everyone else, Alex is the commish of the other league and is pretty much the man when it comes to commishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'commishing'. Sounds like a misdemeanor. But I do appreciate both the compliments and the confidence you appear to have in me.

For the fantasy vets who have never been a part of a top-level fantasy basketball league...you're in for a great time. However...to make a few things clear to both prospective and confirmed owners:

-It is a YEAR ROUND league. Seriously. The basketball season proper is pretty stable from October until February...you mostly manage your team (takes very little time picking weekly starters and dealing with the waiver wire/FA pool) and deal with trades until the trade deadline. There's a brief lull from April-end May, then there's a LOT of activity from June through the middle of August. For most NBN owners, the offseason takes a lot more time/energy than the season does - which is probably a good thing to the extent that it's a realistic owner/management sim. There's a 2nd lull from August until October, then the roller-coaster starts again.

-It requires committed, involved owners. If you ignore your team for two weeks and don't sub out injured players, you'll go 0-8 and probably end up missing the playoffs because of it. If you ignore the trade market and your team atrophies over time, you'll spend a year (and a year's worth of fees) trying to fix that.

Don't get me wrong...this league is the most entertaining, enjoyable and rewarding fantasy league I've ever been involved in after about 18 years of fantasy baseball, football and basketball...but the cost is a higher level of involvement than your standard "draft a team, then check in once a week for a few minutes minutes to see if anyone died or lost a limb" fantasy league that many people think is "normal".

Once Ebenhoe compiles an e-mail list of owners, I'll send out the revised constitution for this year. It's nearly identical to the one that Clark posted earlier in this thread - but there are a few minor clarifications.

If anyone has any questions, comments or concerns about the league, its rules, or anything along those lines...fire away.

Alex