Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Robotic playing style VS Technical knowledge

I am trying to understand how much is really gained by understanding and using advanced poker concepts like $EV, win rate and others. Do you really need to use these things to play winning poker?
Let me describe a simple robotic style that seems pretty reasonable to me
Let's say you play no limit holdem
You select to play decent starting hands. You play less tight in better position. Your flop strategy is basically fit or fold.
When you are in the hand, and choose not to fold, You bet/raise 75% and call/check 25%. You price your bets against people on the draw as follows: 35% of the pot if you want them to call and get a bad price, 50% of pot or higher if you want to push them off the hand, and 25 % of pot if for some reason you want them in with a better price. When betting you randomly bet 25% to 50% of pot against non drawing hands. You only go all in with the nuts, or one of the top 5% of possible hands. You call all in with the same. All of the above is adjusted to multiplayer pots.
You randomize your play 10% of the time to not be to readable. You bluff in favorable situations 10% of the time. You semi-bluff 75% of the time in favourable situations. You agressivly try to steel blinds, and you defend when holding reasonble hands.
I just put this together of the top of my head. I think you could do pretty well doing this a low levels.
But at every level in the final analysis isn't it all Fold, Call, or Bet.
How much in actual win rate is really gained by knowing and using the advanced stategies over a simple robotic style such as I have described? The technical stuff is interesting, but will it really get more money. Does the extra work really mean that much more money?