Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Cheating FTW in Scramble tourneys, but I didn\'t know about it

One more reason to have everyone sign scorecards.

This is off-topic...but

I coordinate one tournanment a year at our small (under 150 members) 9 hole course. I always make sure people sign their scorecard.

There is only one thing worse than a cheater, and that is someone who won't confront one, and then yacks about it later. Man-up or STFU.

I know I am ranting about this, but I have a reason. A few years ago a guy was complaing that a friend of mine (Bill) cut a stroke on a hole. I just overheard the coversation in the clubhouse, but I knew my friend would never cheat, and would be crushed if anyone thought he did. He is the type of guy that if he was 40 yards in the woods and his ball rolled 2 inches in his set-up, he'd come out and tell everyone and take the penalty stroke.

Anyway, I talked to Bill about an hour later and said Fred is telling people you got a 6 on hole 8 but took a 5. My buddy look puzled for a awhile and said OMG...I forgot I chipped out..I did have a 6. He was devasted. he wanted to withdraw and I said no way, this is just a fun tourney, I'm changing it to a 6 and Fred will be coming to see you.

Anyway, I went over to Fred at the clubhouse and asked him if he challenged Bill when he said he had a 6 on hole 8. He said he didn't say anything. I said , all you had to do was say , "I think you had a 6 there, Bill, you may want to recount," and then it would have been sorted out.

Anyway, I told Fred I would DQ both of them unless he aplogized to Bill for not manning-up and yacking about it after he signed his card.

Anyway, he talked to Bill and things worked out. Fred is actaully a pretty good guy now. I think he really didn't realize the "integrity" implications.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant.