Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Hand + Theory Question

Me and a friend are having a disagreement about a hand I played today.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($124.80)
SB ($54.95)
BB ($71.45)
UTG ($25.50)
MP ($40.90)
CO ($95.60)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $3</font>, BB calls $2.50, UTG calls $2.50, MP calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

Flop: ($15) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($15) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.5</font>, SB calls $9.50, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $22.5</font>, MP folds,
Hero?

I'm almost positive that the SB in this hand has AA. I've seen him raise it from the blinds before and this table has been so agg. I can see him checking this flop to induce a steal. I'm also pretty sure that the shortstack is drawing close to dead against me.

Feel free to disagree but I think my flop check is good here, I'm not really afraid of any draws and I'm in bad shape if the SB has aces and check/raises me all-in.

My friend and I disagree on the turn line. He thinks that I should just call this bet to induce a call from the SB. I think I should put the SB all-in here, being almost certain that he has AA.

My logic is that if I just call the SB will be getting almost 6-1 to draw to a full house with his AA which he has roughly a ~20% chance of doing. I don't think the extra $10 here is enought to risk losing a $60 pot. My other line of reasoning is that he might be willing to put it all-in with AA on the turn when he still has outs rather than calling a river bet into a dead pot.

Now consider if the villain has a deeper stack in this example. Should I try to collect more value by making a small raise or just try to take the pot down right there? Is it ever correct in omaha to bet smaller to give a drawing hand better odds against your made nuts?