Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 AM

Default In the Money but in the Death Zone

Late stages PS tourney, 1,200+ started and we're down to 4 tables. Average stack is 56K. Blinds 1/2K ante 200.

We have 15K, so we're solidly in the Death Zone with an M of 3 and Q of oh, 0.3.

The table seems very aware how important it is to ignore the 8th Commandment, you know, the one about "stealing" so very few pots get folded to the blinds.

The most memorable hand I showed down was about from 1/2 hour before when I was in even worse shape pushed from CO with a 54 and doubled up on BB w/ AQ.

Folded to me in MP and I look down at A8, remembering the Book of Dan (HoH) we're willing to push any A and it's folded to BB who calls with 44. The board paired T's on the Turn with all overs to the 4's, the river is a blank so the 4's hold and we suddenly remember that we were supposed to walk the dog 2 hours ago.

The only thing that troubled me was that the Tournament lasted for over 2 more hours. I thought that since I had to double up no matter how deep I was in the Death Zone, is pushing with A8 or similar hands a better strategy than actually waiting for a hand that had a better chance of holding up (big A, suite A, PP >8) especially I have essentially zero Folding Equity?

In one more orbit I'm down to 10K and my M is 2 instead of 3, am I really worse off?