Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2007, 05:04 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Need help picking a major.. tell me about yours!

[ QUOTE ]
quicksilvre, how interesting are your math classes?

[/ QUOTE ]

They can be quite fascinating, especially Analysis. In my Fundamentals of Mathematics class (= introductory Analysis) last year, we had problems like proving how there are as many positive integers or rational numbers as there are integers. You really get a behind-the-scenes look at what you've been doing with math all these years. I found it very thought-provoking.

There are other classes like Diff Eq that are stimulating, too--not so much on the philosophical level, but they have a lot of

moments. They get you into a problem-solving state of mind. Also, classes like Diff Eq are basically the answer to the question of, "What are we learning math for?"--these are the classes where you learn what you need for high-level engineering and science jobs. And even if you don't want/get one of those, the problem solving and logical thought skills make the classes worth it (in my opinion).

And then there are classes like Linear Algebra, which is basically just taking in the pooper twice a week. So they aren't all wonderful.

[ QUOTE ]
i've always had this notion that people with a deep enough understanding of mathematics see the world differently than the rest of the world does.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned, I believe that math education = clear thinking, though I should mention that I've spent less of today on the problem of maximizing my study time than I have of the problem of whether I should play .5/1 limit, 1/2 limit, or NL25, or the problem of maximizing the amount of cola and snacks I can buy with the money in my wallet. Take that for what it's worth.