Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Post here when coaches do something obviously stupid

[ QUOTE ]
vhawk,

Couple of points. As mentioned before, the transition doesn't have to start at the pro level, where I agree, the money is too huge to risk getting run out of town.

Point two: baby steps. Some coaches are already smartening up about going for it in situations like 4th and 3 on the opp's 45. That can grow to drastically reducing the amount of punts attempted and it eventually becomes standard practice. It need not be one guy who comes in and always goes for two, never punts on 4th and <5, and doesn't kick field goals on 4th and <2 inside the 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that change can be effected eventually, I'm just trying to point out that there really are some pretty fundamental barriers to these types of things, other than JUST coaches all being old, crotchety morons. They are still old crotchety morons, of course, but thats not all of it.

As a matter of fact, it would be easier to effect change from the owner's box or the GM's office, just like in baseball. Its hard because the GM has a more limited role in the NFL, but the reason sabermetrics has made such great strides in baseball is because of Beane, Theo, Ricciardi and all those guys, not because of Francona or Torre or LaRussa.