FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: a question about public roads

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because in Sweden this IS the case! The land is protected by the government and open for the public to roam and camp. Thus in this instace the state is performing a valuable service. If it was in the hands of corporations it WOULD be destroyed. So the answer to your question is democracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you're begging a question. You're assuming that because YOU like a beach and a forrest that everyone else does too - and they like it MORE than any other alternative use of that scarce land.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no; he's making the opposite assumption. He has to assume that, even though he personally likes beach and forest, nobody else does. Because if they did, the market would provide those things. So he's doubly screwed; he has to assume that nobody wants those things, AND that his personal preferences should be violently imposed above everyone else's.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't think my preference should "be violently imposed". I think under capitalism there must be some sort of regulation and democratic majority rule over what happens to the land.

[/ QUOTE ]

I.e., you want your personal preferences to be violently imposed.

[ QUOTE ]
In the absence of capitalism- why would anyone in their right mind want to bulldoze the land and build cinema's and carparks there?

[/ QUOTE ]

So they could park their cars and watch movies?

[ QUOTE ]
And as such there would in a truly Anarchist society be no need for violent coercion to protect the land from destruction for private profiteering.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if I wanted to bulldoze it and build a cinema and a carpark?