Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Final Table Theories

Okay, I'm sitting at the final table of a 70 player live tournament short stacked with 41,000 in chips. The blinds are 6000/12000. Nobody else at the table has an M higher than 10 and the average is probably 5. I'm UTG and am staring over at 18000 in blinds about to render me neutered. The play at the table is pretty much all-in, all the time - usually any player stealing the blinds. I've done so once and survived, raising my stack from 23,000 to its current level, but I'm feeling that any good hand now needs to be played. I look down at A9 suited and push all-in.

What's your approach at this point? Do you:

1. Push all-in as I did realizing that you can't afford to eat those blinds and are unlikely to see a better hand than A9 suited soon?
2. Fold because you're going to wait for a better hand in the next orbit with the intention of going all-in?
3. Fold because you're in early position and the odds of getting called by a better hand are fairly high? You'd rather go all-in with any two cards in late position, even with 23,000 in chips.
4. Fold with the intention of getting blinded out because its the best chance of moving up given the level of the other chip stacks at the table and the all-in play that's happening.
5. Something else.