Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Our University System in the US -- Too Much GenEd?

I'm a senior at Indiana University and my college experience has not been a very satisfactory one. I'm majoring in Psychology, because I want to work in Psych research labs (I'm rethinking that now... but it was the plan).

My in-major classes are fine. It's the general education requirements I really have a problem with. Does anyone else feel like the majority of these classes are useless? I learned how to write a good paper in the first English class I took. That was a good skill to learn, but did I really need it honed through a ton of other classes over 4 years? Is there really a point to going through 120 credits of this stuff? Calculus and statistics are important for psychology students, so I'm not including them in my gripe. Biology is relatively important too, though the amount I have to take is pretty ridiculous and the vast majority of it not relevant. Besides the research methods and statistics classes I took, I've really learned no life skills or career skills. I've learned how to write papers and how to take tests, but that only took a semester.

Does anyone feel that majority of their undergraduate classes were important/helpful (besides making your resume look much nicer)?

I specify the US, because schools in other countries such as England are more specialized and less gen. ed.