Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 PM

Default I think I need calibration

A while back I posted and asked if Vodka made you fat. Based on what I read, and mostly what I want to look and feel like again, I have gone more days without drinking in the last three weeks than in the last twenty years. But that is not why I am posting. I am posting because I have been exercising for nine weeks now and, based on what I'm reading here, think I may be going in a wrong direction.

I bought a little home gym that I put in the garage. It's got 190 lbs of weight and has the pull down bar and a chest and leg feature. You can manipulate it to do other stuff as well. I have been usuing it three to five times a week doing light weight, with between 50 to 100 reps for each exercise. I end the workout sweaty and tired. Also my bad back, a problem for years, has almost dissapeared.(very good)

My wife has an exercise bike that I would use three or four days a week. I got up to 40 minutes on that befor my left knee went out. It would be really sore the next day after working out, and then it got to the point where it would lock up while walking across a parking lot. So I quit and just started lifting longer to try to lose weight and get my heart rate going.

Last week I joined the Y down the street from my house and now walk there three days a week and do the eliptical, which does not hurt my knees at all at this point. I am up to 25 minutes on that and plan to go 30 today. I am currently excercising 5-6 days a week for about an hour. I like my home gym better than lifting there, so I still use that.

Here are my questions:

-Is that too much exercise?
-I am seeing a change in my body shape, but not losing as much stomach as I would like. Should I continue with what I am doing and be patient?
-My left elbow pops a lot while lifting and is a little sore. At times it throbs all the way down to my little finger. I'm 43 years old. Is this because I'm doing too many reps? (In fact I hear crackling noises in my shoulder too sometimes when lifting)
-Last, what is the most times a week I should do the eliptical? Is four times too many, or can I do it more? Is it bad to mix cardio and weights on the same day?

Thank-You in advance If anyone replies. I have made a number of changes to my exercise goals based on what I have read here. Glad I stumbled onto this site when I did.