Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Beginner looking to improve. Can you help?

Here's how I view my own play. Tight, aggressive. Very patient usually. Not too prone to tilt (I get pissed but I don't play more hands than usual). Positionally aware. I've read a few books, with Harrington 1 being my fav so far. I'm working on Harrington 2 and have Harrington 3 on deck. PNL is in the hole.

Here's my Donkey Test scores.

Poker IQ = 108
Positional Play = 116
Blinds = 111
Tournament play = 80 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Big Pairs = 112
Small and Medium Pairs = 104
Bluffing = 119
Flop Texture = 119
Pot Odds = 97 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Logic = 117
Betting Patterns = 118
Hand Selection = 111
Aggression = 122
Computational speed = 80 (wasn't paying attn. didnt know it was timed...was browsing/chatting)

I've been fairly successful at 1-2 NL games, doing better in LAG games than TP games. I've been very successful at some "semi free" tourneys online where you start with deep stacks (10k). I'm moderately successful at single table online SNGs. I'm not very successful at live tourney's, and tourneys where you start with 1,500 - 3,000 chips.

I *think* I may tend to be a bit too tight/patient early in tournaments because I'll often get myself into Low-M trouble (if that's the right term). I used to get to final tables with short stacks all the time, but I've since learned a little about being more aggressive in late position (thanks Mr. Harrington) and have started finishing top-3 more often, and winning a few outright.

It feels like my main problem is being card-dead early in tournaments. If I can "get lucky" and pick up some chips early, I can be patient and play my game. If I'm card dead with a shrinking stack I feel pressured and tighten up even more.

So...with that book outta the way...have any suggestions? Book suggestions or specfic suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
DP