Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Introduction, Pyschological issues, Getting in shape w/o leaving house

Hi, I'm new to the Health and Fitness forum, and new to basically anythign related to this field whatsoever and I am totally clueless basically on everything.

I plan to read through the FAQ and also start checking out some other websites related to health and fitness. However, I was hoping maybe you guys could help me out with something first...

I know what I am about to type is a pyschological issue moreso than a Health and Fitness issue, yet, I promise I will get the health and fitness stuff in a second... Baically, Im out of shape and my body image is kind of gross, I'm 5'9 180 LBS and 20 yrs old. I want to change and start making improvments in my life and I think starting w/ my health is a great spot to start.

My problem is this... I'm too self conscious to go join a gym or a health center. I don't know what it is, I'm just honestly downright pretrified of going because of the way I look and feel and also my total lack of gym / health / fitness knowledge. However, I feel as if once I get into a little bit of better shape and I havea bit more confidence I will have no issues or problems going to the gym. Is this common? I know everyone is goign to say just suck it up and go, don't worry what other people think, etc. However, this is ongoign problem w/ my life and I have an irrational fear of what people think of me, and it puts me into situations liek this where I am downright afraid to go to the gym. Yes, I amn talking to a profressional about my issues and getting help.

Anyways, now that I have gotten my pyschological babble out of the way and everyone thinks I am a total wackjob. I guess I can get down the nitty gritty...

I want to make a possitive change in my life w/ regards to my health and fitness, however, for the reasons outlined above, I have to start small and I would like to do so from the privacy and comfort of my own home...

I was thinking about getting either an eliptical or a exercise bike or some type of home excersie tool that will allow me to do some cardio and start getting back into shape.

My main concerns are size and noise. I don't have a lot of space, so the more compact the better (or maybe something that is easy to store and bring out when I want to use?) Also, I need something quiet that isn't too noisy when Im using it.

So can you guys reccomend me something to pick up, preferably something that I could get at like a walmarts or a meijers from thier sporting goods department.

Moving on, I also want to start eating better and maybe include a multi-vitamin into my daily intake. Can anyone reccomend a good daily vitamin to take for me?

So if I start eating better and start excerising rigoursly on either an excersise bike or a an eliptical machine, is there a good chance I could start to see some results in a few months? My main two goals are; to look better (start to lose some weight and some of my roundness) and to just feel healthier (I sometimes get very tired mid day for no reason, and just generally feel crappy/gross all the time). I think that if I can start to see some results from doing this, then I would gain some much needed confidence and that in turn could only lead to great things for my health/fitness future.

I'm honestly very dedicated and ready to tackle this project and put in the work nessecary. So for someone who has the motivation, can I get in shape w/o leaving my house and w/ using just an excerise bike and eating better?

Im sorry if this post came across and jumbled and out of order or difficult to read, I tired to convery my thoughts the best I could, and thanks in advance for any help / insight. I look forward to particiapting and becoming a member of this forum.