Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Fish in a Barrel...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am already beating these players but as we all know, we want to become more proficient by fine-tuning our game. Nothing makes me happier than making a calling station fold. It's just that that is very difficult to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to return to the basics. Calling stations don't fold, thats what makes them calling stations. So instead of trying to make your calling station opponents do things that they wont do, start trying to adjust your actions to match the player type.

PS: read Professional NL Hold'em, sounds like this book is made for you. Also read the strat forums, you dont have a single post in them that I can find.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Professional NL Hold'em is on the way from Amazon. Waiting patiently for Negranau's book too.

I post in MTT strategy once and awhile and Poker Strategy a lot.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. My hand is JJ. I raise (although I am doing that less now because a lot of these loose players call with Arag or two paints like KT so overcards are always a problem so deep stack I might play JJ for set value).

All right, so 3 players call my raise (which is now usually more than 3xBB). The flop is 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet out or raise any bet in front of me and still get one or two players still in. And I do bet enough to make draws costly. However, reading the hands I'm against I have found that I can be facing A8, A6, A2, K8, K6, any draw, and sometimes 99 or TT but those guys usually move in here. There's also the odd numbskull who called a raise with 86.

Against good players I am up against a set, slowplayed AA or a move (or maybe 86 against a guy who knows how to play that). And good players might hang around with 99 or TT but not be pushing it.

Sorry to turn this to strategy but this is the kind of hand I am looking for in a book and how to analyze the various crazies that are still around.

[/ QUOTE ]

PNL should help with this a lot - this type of hand seems to be exactly what target SPR's addresses. With overpair type hands you want a fairly low (~4 or less) SPR so you can profitably commit against these type of players range of hands when you flop an overpair (in other words, try to get enough into the pot preflop so they don't have the implied odds to chase down your overpair when you make a pot sized bet). If you can't get the SPR low enough with preflop betting, try and have a very high SPR (>20) and try to keep the pot small. They explain it much better in the book.