Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Why Russ Meyer Matters

Russ Meyer Obit

Of some interest:

' "I am the rural Fellini," Mr. Meyer once said, referring to the Italian filmmaker. "He liked women that were outrageously buxom, too. The difference is, his country looked upon him as a true artist."

In some ways, Mr. Meyer underestimated his renown. Several of his films are in the permanent collection in the Museum of Modern Art; others are deconstructed by Ivy League film students; and still more are shown at retrospectives. The director John Waters called "Faster, Pussycat, Kill! Kill!" (1965), about thrill-hungry go-go dancers in the desert, "beyond doubt, the best movie ever made." '

Indeed, I concur; whom am I to argue with John Waters.

Stills of the Pussycats

This reminds me of a sequence in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world done by Terry Thomas in which he waxes poetic on the immense importance and fixation America places on Women’s Breasts - stating emphatically the without large breasts the entire American economic system would collapse. This is so obviously a truism that it makes Russ Meyer even more important than anyone has ever given him credit for. Making him the fulcrum point and indeed the quintessential genius of American Film Art and Economics combined. A truly staggering achievement.

This is why going to see the new movie 'Balls of Fury' is a must for everyone that participates in this forum.

Balls of Fury

-Zeno