Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Post flop play - Top Pair and Overpairs - Advice please........

Hi All

It seems to me there is plenty of great easy to follow advice for pre flop play available on 2+2 and other sources.

Where as post flop play is far more situation specific....which makes sense as there are so many variables.

From my way of understanding it there is a lot of black and white pre flop and also some genuine grey areas where a range of factors need to be conisdered.

For example calling a 3 bet OOP with KJo is a definite no no (for beginner). Limping with AK or AA not recommended....etc etc

And with post flop the more factors involved lead to a much bigger "grey" area where decisions need to be made.

That said i personally think it would be a great help for many of us beginners out there to see some of genuine black and white areas post flop to help build our game upon.

I think the area that would realy help regarding post flop play is for TPTK type hands when facing callers or resistance.

This top pair (or overpair) hand is very common and often tough for newbies. Especially when trying to avoid going broke with top pair BUT at the same time not giving up too much value by folding too often.

Becasue

a) We are trying to tighten our play enough to only play these better hands. (stop playin Q6o :-)

b) With Small PP or SC you are often just judging implied and expressed odds until you hit your hand or have to fold becasue you miss or are priced out. (again for a beginner)

c) When you hit trips or Flushes etc ovbisouly the power of the hand makes it a bit easier to play. (Although probaly not maximise value?)

So with that said i would like some feedback on how we should be playing both Overpairs and TPTK / TPGK when you are the preflop agressor. (e.g 4BB +1BB per limper type raises pre flop)

Please feel free to add any advice or situations but the questions i would like some guidance in terms of a plan from flop to turn etc are:

1) You are pre flop agressor in Position. Checked to you an you bet 3/4 to full pot and are reraised? What difference for Drawy board and dead board?

2) You are pre flop agressor in Position. Checked to you an you bet 3/4 to full pot and are called? What plan here on turn assuming dead board? Obviously with draws on board the turn will either complete flusch etc or not so can re evaluate.

3) You are pre flop agressor in position. Bet into you by 1/2 to full pot - What plan here? What difference for Drawy board and dead board?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I just want to point out again that i know you can't play poker post flop by numbers so i apoligise if this is FAR TO GENERIC to get any value.

Bur some solid guidleines I think gives us beginners a starting point to deveiate from as our judgement improves and we learn to weigh up more and more factors into any decision. Not just bet size and board texture but table image, stack size, position and reads on villian.

Cheers