Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Ethics question

[ QUOTE ]
YOU are not being screwed over. The expectation is that those taking the class will be buying the textbook, which is why you receive a special certification for that text.

The professor is giving the "non-certification seeking" students a BREAK by telling them that they won't need the book to perform well on her tests.

I think if you look at it from the correct perspective, you'll feel better about the purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

i see what you are saying...but i still cant help but feel that its the students that are being exploited. the book will not be used at all, why cant we just buy the scantron seperate?

ill admit that there are valid arguements for this not being so bad because i get a special certification that will look good on a resume, but my anger is more directed at the book system in general, and this instance just makes it stand out more.

The publishers and the book stores are in a constant stuggle back and forth. Book stores gain profit by selling a book for 100 bucks, buying it back for like 30, then reselling next year used for 75. So in theory they are making money each year without having to purchase any new inventory.

The publisher says that sucks, because they arent selling as many books, so they release new editions that arent really new at all.

Who gets screwed? the students. hard to argue the fact that i mentioned in my op, student book prices rising at a rate of 4x inflation since 1994.

translation: whine whine bitch bitch life isnt fair etc