Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2007, 03:11 PM

Default NL Home Game with 1 LAG

I taught a group of my close friends back in high school how to play poker. For a couple years now since coming to college we've had a bi-weekly game of 5 cent 10 cent blind NL... buy in for between 5 and 10. Between 4 and 7 people play, just depends but there are 3 people that are always there including myself. Now one of the regulars I don't worry about, he plays the game pretty straight forward, based off of his experiences and maybe what I gave him as guidelines for starting hand requirements a long time ago.

The problem is with the other regular. This guy I have known for about 8 years and we're great friends. He's incredibley intelligent; valedictorian in high school and soon to be summa cum laude. His real poker strengths are in his abilities to recognize patterns of play and read people. He has never read a poker book, and to my knowledge he has never actually considered outs or pot odds at any time. I'm fairly certain he's not aware of what they are.

The problem I have is that he is a lagtard before the flop and just hyper aggressive on the flop. Now after that he slows down but I'm usually gone by then anyway and if I'm not gone, he knows I have something so I can't extract much more. The method I used last year was just rope-a-dope... I'd let him bet and just call it down, then raise the river to get everything in the pot. That did work for quite a while, but he picked up on and I'm fresh out of strategies for playing against him tomorrow night.

Any thoughts are welcome especially ones that involve using the way his play affects the other fairly tight players to my advantage.