Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: SERIOUS TOPIC: Friend dying, son wants to send wife to mental

All advice and viewpoint so far appreciated. A few people however seem confused with the situation (even more then I am). I never said that I didn't think she should be in a nursing home / retirement home and at no point did I expect or want the son to take care of the wife himself once the father died. The wife would not want that as she dislikes the girlfriend very much.

I just wanted to see her in a very nice retirement community of which we know where the residents are given very good care and attention and have nice living conditions (2 bedrooms) because I know that she has the money to do that (provided she is given the half she is entitled to).

I know very little about the law, but it was my understanding that the tests they took determined she was not able to take care of herself and as a result firstly the husband has responsibilty of taking care of his wife (since she is deemed not to be able to take care of herself). Then the next step is the fact that the husband is very weak and the new news is has only 1 month to live (wife still thinks he will recover, we are not butting in and telling her the truth since for some reason the family will not tell her, guess that is not suspicious at all). So the husband gave power of attorney to his son which he trusts 100 percent to do the right thing. So in my understanding son is given control of all of the wifes assets at that point, or when the husband dies (I know there are different levels of power that can be granted and do not know the details).

Afterwards he threatens a couple of times if wife does not get her act together he will send her to a mental institue next week (of course he did not say this in front of his father the husband, but said it to my mom). They had my mom take the wife shopping while they were here so they could get legal matters taken care of behind the back. I think the wife and girlfriend have been arguing together a decent amount during the 2 day visit which may be why the son is being so harsh in some of his statements.

My dad found out about the power of attorney thing when some flowers were sent by some law office to their house. Many of the dots were connecting at that point and he asked the husband about it and I believe the father admited it was true but didn't want to talk about where the wife would go.