Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2007, 04:34 AM

Default As a parent, how amenable would you be to your kid pursuing poker...?

Not sure what the average age is on these forums, but I'd guess the majority of posters are between 19 and 24. Cruise the forums, and you'll find a new thread every week about how some poster thinks his parents are absolutely clueless about poker, and how he wishes they would just see the light, realize he's a winning player, and support his decision to play professionally for a few years (either in lieu of going college, or immediately after). Although my parents have generally been as supportive as two neurotic Jewish parents can be about their first-born, at times I too have wished that they (and moreso my extended family) would cut me a little more slack about it.

Thought it'd be interesting to turn the tables, and ask how you -- let's assume you're a winning 2p2'er who gets a hard time from his parents about poker -- would react if, down the road, your kid told you that he was a big winner online, and that he wanted to take a year off before college to play full-time. Or worse still, that he wanted to drop out of college after 2 years because he could be making $150,000 - $200,000 if he played full-time, much more (so he reasons) than he could ever hope to make coming out of college.

What would you say?

(The group of people I'd be really interested in hearing from are those that have made the above decision already, to the dismay of their parents, but I wonder whether, at 19 or 20 you'll yet have the perspective to be able to do this type of role reversal and think about what it really means to raise a kid...)