Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: What would be your idea of a perfect society?

[ QUOTE ]
If they are free to leave that would make them homeless wouldn't it? Will they still be eligible for food if they "choose" not to participate?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very interesting question, and I suppose it depends on where you expect to get the food from.

Do you expect your neighbors to provide it -- without you paying for it and without you being willing to do anything to assist in providing it?

If not that way, then how do you propose to provide it?

In my view, nobody owes you a living. If you're willing to work, you get the benefit of what you help in producing. If you want to sit on your ass and do nothing, then you'd better have a Plan B. What that Plan B is is up to you.

Of course, yes, it still is possible for someone who will not work and who will not pay for food to go hungry. I didn't make that rule, that's just Reality 101.

As far as I can tell, guaranteeing everyone at least a piece of land is a very good starting point for not being forced to labor for someone else.

Secondly, guaranteeing everyone who *does* work that there will be a way for them and their families to get the full benefit of what they produce -- well, I don't see how anyone can honestly object to that, either.

If your fantasy, however, is to sit in your parents' basement and never have to work and spend 20 hours a day posting Murray Rothbard quotes to the internet (all on someone else's dime, of course) ... well, yeah, you might not like my ideal society then. If it matters to you, I don't much like yours, either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I think my ideal maximizes people's free choices, minimizes the ability of other people to force people into dependence and deprivation, and offers the best opportunities to the next generation. I think that's a pretty good starter for this discussion.

So far, all anyone else here has been able to do is accuse me of being a communist/subversive/(fill-in-the-blank). Which, although it may rally the rightwingers, is not an actual refutation or counterargument.

q/q