Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Is It OK To Have A Mormon President?

I imagine David would aruge that the fact that Reagan either believed in, or allowed policy to be decided (and when to schedule an appointment is policy) by his wife's belief in, astrology, might well be an indication of--to use David's politically incorrect term--a "moron." I think the evidence is compelling that he was both ignorant and unintelligent. It's not as clear, it seems to me, that he was therefore a bad president. It is clear to me that Jimmy Carter was much more intelligent than Reagan and was much more religious and was also a much less successful president. Nixon was a Quaker and often spoke of his "sainted" mother and her Quaker beliefs. He obviously wasn't a pacifist.

No doubt politicians have to pay lip service to God and that their private beliefs might be quite different than their public pandering. We have never elected a non-Christian president. My point was that the fact that whether or not a presdient was devoutly religious might not be important to their governance.