Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Time for my KITN at the Venetian - and a good lesson

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps it SHOULD be the rule that if a player clearly misunderstands the size of a bet, that his action is not binding. Often times a reasonable dealer or floor will do things this way, but this is by no means standard practice. In reality you may have misunderstood for very legitimate reasons, but still be forced to call in a far from reasonable manner. It's very much dependent on the house rules, and more often who is running/supervising the game (and how reasonable they are). In today's poker world that may be very far from reasonable, so always clarify, ALWAYS.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously you can never count on getting a good ruling, but Robert's Rules does include some stuff about protecting players that misunderstand the size of the bet they are facing

I've also seen quite a few times (almost always preflop though) where someone doesn't see a raise or a straddle or a reraise and puts out the wrong number of chips and is then allowed to take them back and fold

the fact that he verbalized his action, combined with further action behind him does muddy the water a bit

but, he never put 16 chips in the pot and the player acting after him has an obligation to make sure that the action ahead of him is correct before he acts precisely to avoid these "well he can't change his mind now that I've reraised!" type of situations