Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Spirit Mountain Hand Play Along

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i definitely donk the flop, i don't think it's close (lol @ check/raising to face the field with two cold)

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your opinion, but since I am here to learn WHY these decisions I make are so bad, could you please enlighten me as to why this is such a bad move?

Are 6 clean outs to the cinch THAT good to where we want to start building a huge pot? I guess the pot is already large enough so flush draws are calling anyway, but I'd be honored if you'd fill me in (not being sarcastic.. like I said, I'm here to learn).

Thanks,
Nick

[/ QUOTE ]
The main reason why a check/raise isn't good is that we're still drawing. If we check and Smuggy bets and we raise, it's like we're trying to force everyone else out of the hand. If you want to assume we only have 6 outs to our straight due to there being a flush draw out, it means that we're going to make our flush about 25% of the time by the river. Therefore, if we're going to bet or raise for value, we want to be putting in less than 25% of the money to make a bet profitable. If Smuggy bets, and we raise, then the flush draw and Smuggy call while everyone else folds, we put in 33% of the money and our raise was a loser for us.

Because we can't get strong draws to hands that would be our straight if we make it like flush draws, sets or two pair, we really don't need to be forcing people out. Instead, we should be focused on building a pot (if we can do so profitably) by convincing people with weak hands to come along , or just calling along if we have odds to hit. We aren't looking to drive out people holding bottom or middle pair.