Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: The Make a Wish Foundation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cbloom:

yeah, you're a moron. this is an incredibly adolescent worldview - i'm surprised there isn't a nietschze or rand quote somewhere in your OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so adolescent about it? I think OP raises a perfectly legitimate point. That you don't agree with it doesn't make it immature or dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

It smacks of intellecutal childishness. Obviously, sophistical arguments can be made against any particular institution, but there are ten billion more important and awful things in this world to question.

It's not any different from arguments in favor of euthanizing the elderly or letting the homeless starve or any number of ultimately 'logical' and impracticable ideas that might save all of us a couple of bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have said that arguments based on name calling and inability to consider ideas that are at least superficially repugnant were more in line with what I would call intellectual childishness.

[/ QUOTE ]

the name calling is because i did consider ideas like this, when i was in sixth grade and thought i was smarter than everyone else. the repugnance isn't for the thought itself, it's for the superficiality of the thought - it so widely misses the mark of human experience.

i've contemplated far more callous things - that isn't the point.