Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Ed Miller\'s Short Hand Strategy on Full Tilt...

Teddie,

I've obviously got up your nose a bit here. But I want to make two things very clear:

1. I try to make it clear than, and I quote, "I must be misunderstanding something". I'm not blaming Ed Miller. Although I concede in my frustration it may have sounded like that, I went to great lengths to make it understood that I thought the fault probably lay with me.

2. I'm asking for advice here. Not trying to annoy people. You haven't offered much advice, which is fine, but don't come on here and get mad.

There are reasons I played the hands you critisise as awful. Please enlighten me to the error of my ways. (seriously).

And for anyone else who is wants to show a beginner the error of his ways, here is my thinking....

Hand 11: I'm not convinced limping with a small pair on occassion is bad play, even for short stacks. Consider that people know exactly what I'm doing - raising preflop with a strong hand, then going all in on the flop. Everyone knew that's what I was doing, so why not mix it up every now and then so I'm not totally transparent? My logic is limping with a pocket pair is a little change to the standard play I have been employing for the last hour and will keep them guessing a tad. If someone raises preflop (unlikely on these tables, which is another consideration), or I don't hit a hand on the flop (likely) then I fold (which is another thing people are not accustomed to seeing me do on the flop). So all in all, it costs me 50c to be - at-least a little bit - unpredictable. And if I hit a hand, as in this example, I have a strong hand worth betting with. Yes, this is my little "variation" on Ed's strategy, but I am unconvinced it's a bad one. If you want to show me otherwise, I'm all ears. But just saying "awful, that's not what Ed said to do" isn't convincing me.

Hand 10: Yes, awful. A mistake, but I'm a novice. Learning the ropes. Throw me a bone.

Hand 9: Well give me a hint then! I really don't know what to do in the big blind. Are you and phydaux saying I should fold when I can see the flop for free? Seriously?

Hand 7: MY logic here is really a mix between Hand 9 and Hand 11. I have a marginal hand, but not too bad. And I can probably see the flop for free. My goal here is to be a teeny bit unpredictable instead of constant raise-flop-all-in. With this hand I am planning to fold the flop, unless the flop hits me and looks harmless enough, which would be a very rare occurance. So I'm just trying to be a little unpredictable at the price of a 50c BB. But in the rare place where the flop actually hits me really well, why not put my money in there while I am almost certainly holding the strongest hand?