Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Default call or raise the maniac?

Set up: low limit SnG's NL Holdem, 10 handed to start, blinds at 10 and 20, initial stake $1500, blinds increase every 10 min.

At almost every SnG I play, there's at least 1 maniac that will play every hand. They usually raise any Ace, most Kings, most Suited connectors, and of course, any pocket pair. Often enough, they get lucky in the begining, and will double, triple, or quadruple up, busting 1 or two people out quickly.

Against players like this, I play tight, wait for good cards, and never bluff at em. If I make top pair/good kicker or better, I get as much in the pot as I think they'll call.

However, I'm not sure what's the best strategy when I hold something like top pair, weak kicker, or middle/bottom pair. I usually just call their bets, or check/bet (depends on my position) This works, but I want to get the most value for my hands, but since you can't put them on a hand since they have no starting requirement (assuming they just limped in), I don't want to go broke on a marginal hand either.

How do you guys handle the maniacs out there?