Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: NL100 bind defense vs 1p0kerboy. Am I weak-tight?

[ QUOTE ]
Can't you find better spots to defend your blind and avoid this whole predicament?

You're building a big pot out of position against a tight player and you have no clue whether your hand is good or not.

I think a fold preflop is an excellent play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, if I fold preflop you can commit larceny to your heart's content. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My thought process when you opened is as follows:

1) Pokerboy, while generally a tight player, steals blinds somewhat regularly.

2) If I raise, Pokerboy might fold enough that I can make an instant profit on the 3-bet.

3) If we see a flop; my hand still has decent equity vs Pokerboy's range, and we can play poker on later streets

3.5) If I am mistaken in estimating his calling range for 3) and he really has me crushed when he calls, then I make even more money becuase of 2)

4) If Pokerboy comes over the top of my 3-bet, I can safely fold, knowing that his range crushes mine.

5) Pokerboy is well known to be a 12-tabler. Perhaps he will play suboptimally (although still decently) if he holds a marginal hand.

As regards defending with AJ in general, I realize that it is an easily dominated hand vs a reasonable calling range, but doesn't the fact that I hold 1 of the Aces somewhat reduce the threat of domination? Should I be flat-calling with this hand? Or should I fold it? What if it was suited?

Thank guys for all the comments and advice; I am learning a lot from this forum.