Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Your five favorite games of all time?

Replying without reading any of the rest of the thread.

5) Betrayal at Krondor (PC). Fascinating RPG set in the universe of Raymond E. Feist's books. Groundbreaking in a lot of ways. Not the best graphics in the world, but a very strong story. I spent an insane amount of time on this game.

4) Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (PC). The original was great, but the sequel improved on every aspect of it. Some the best graphics ever to go into a 2D engine. Fluid interface. Deep gameplay. Great game.

3) Final Fantasy VI (SNES): AKA Final Fantasy III for its American release. Fantastic RPG. I haven't cared overmuch for the more recent incarnations of the Final Fantasy series, but this one got it right.

2) Counter-Strike (PC): Spent so much time on this game, it was ridiculous. Frustrating at first, when you were getting killed and not really contributing to your team, but after the first time I stepped onto a server, got 2x as many kills as deaths, and realized that I was a difference-maker as far as how the games were going, I was hooked.

1) Warcraft II (PC). Forget Starcraft (though it would make my top 10). Warcraft 2 was the definitive RTS that defined the genre, setting its center-of-gravity on Internet multiplayer (via the Kali service, which got hundreds of thousands of subscribers) and indeed paving the way for much of what was possible with Internet gaming. I spent about 3 years doing very little video gaming outside of this game, and as the communities evolved, so did the strategies, for years and years; with the possible exception of Starcraft, no game went through as much consistent change in its top-tier strategy, which helped to keep it very dynamic. In my mind the greatest computer game of all time.