Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2007, 04:17 AM

Default Theory - Late Stages

I've been quite successful recently building a large stack early etc, but I dont seem to be able to make it to the final table (or near it).
Of course it's partly because I'm playing 2000+ tournaments so the way is gruelingly long. However the problem is that I dont feel like I'm actually any better than the rest of my table once the average goes down to about 10-13 bb.

a lot of times during this phase I will be moved to a new table since people bust out quite fast, so I will not have PTstats on villains, only their OPR stats (so at least I will be able to identify the best and worst players quickly)

How lightly do you steal in this scenario, how lightly do you resteal, do you ever squeeze?
I have never squeezed in my entire life, and I get restolen quite a bit more than I resteal myself (which obviously also means that my normal steals are less successful in this phase)
I like to think that I'm just getting unlucky recently during these phases, but it seems more likely that while I have a big edge early on, I just dont have one later on when stacks get small compared to the BB and thus getting to the final table would be by mere chance.

So basically lets say average is 40k, we have about 40k as well and the pot is around 3k to 4k to begin with (thus BB is 1500/2000).
In this situation obviously most pots will either be taken down pf or end in an all-in.

what's your stealing range on the co against an "average" player? What's your restealing range against someone who's rather active? against someone who rarely raises?
What's your range to do a squeeze? (assuming we are raising from the button)

I know these questions all depend on a lot of factors so it's not exactly possible to give good general answers, but some idea's would be really appreciated.

Also, I'm coming to think that I should be playing x/45s and x/180 till I feel really comfortable in these small M encounters, otherwise playing to the top10% in a huge tournament is mostly a waste of time and money, isn't it?

Chris