Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Adjusting preflop and postflop to the....

the texture of the game.

Oink brought up an important point in another thread about the inherant inflexability of starting hand charts and the like, saying that 6max is so dynamic that you have to constantly adjust both your preflop and postflop play. I think we can all agree with this.

Everyday a player will post his PT stats and ask for advice in relationship to those stats. General advice is recommended without further elaboration given by the player as to exactly what type of game he plays in.

For example. My stats after 12k hands at 1-2 on Stars are 21/13/1.23, brought down by my PFR and my low river stat 1.34. My WTSD is around 33. I steal less than 30% of the time and defend less.

These stats look contradictory to the more successful players, but the games I usually play in often resemble full ring. 4-5 players seeing the flop, a lot of limping. In these games, marginal hands lose value, thus the lower SD stat. Higher postflop aggression is needed to defend your hands against the field. The odds are greater to chase, thus the lower river stat due to check folding missed draws. There will be less stealing and defending scenarios. Maniacs aside, players tend to be more honest with their raises. The list goes on.

That said, I'd like to pick everyone's brain as to how they adjust when the context of the game changes. For us converts new to 6max who will start at the low-limits before moving up, I like to ask all the experienced players how they changed their game when they moved from fullring to low-stakes 6max that basically resembles fullring.

Will the fundamentals in Small Stakes HE, with a few tweaks to accomadate 6max play, be sufficient to win at these types of games?

From playing years of FR, I'm totally comfortable with my postflop play. What gives me trouble is judging the relative hand values in 6max. I'm reminded of a thread where a player called with J8off in the BB in raised multiway pot. Sure the price was good, and everyone seemed to endorse the call. However, the issue of being reverse implied or dominated didn't really come up. In fullring that hits the muck. I'm confused as to why it would not be a fold in this case since the pot was multiway?

Any advice and contribution is appreciated.