Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Problems with AK facing a 3bet

I've been thinking about AK facing a 3bet. I apologise if this is bulk standard but I am a 100nl newb.

You and villain are both solid TAG's, meow chow, 21/17/4, whatever. You both have been 3betting a bit light, and you both thus far have folded to one anothers respective 3bets.

You pick up AKo OTB and raise to $4. Villain 3bets from the SB to 13. Do you call, or 4bet?

My thoughts:

If you 4bet you turn your hand into a bluff because if he shoves, you are pretty much behind his entire range as neither of you has 4bet before. His range for you has to be pretty narrow and to shove over that range indicates a lot of strength making calling that shove really thin.

If you just call his 3bet and hit an ace on the flop he has to have aces to get his stack in, and he will usually be folding to huge pressure with one pair type hands. Similarly if he has a K he is going to have to be pretty strong himself or pretty stupid to get his stack in for 100bbs versus your range.

If you call his 3bet and miss the flop there are a lot of flops which suck for you, because he wont fold a TT type hand on almost any board thats not A or K high, which is bad for us because he wont fold when we want him to, and will fold when we dont want him to.

I feel like I'm overthinking this. There has to be a simple wat to play AKo in position to a 3bet from a good tag... Help?