Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Post the name here of a random 1980s baseball player

Thumbing through an old Bill James book, I came across this piece he wrote about Terry Francona (also contains some good names for this thread):

"What a worthless player. Francona, whose father was one of my favorite players, has the lowest career secodary average of any active player (500 or more games). What makes this especially striking is that almost everybody else in the bottom ten is a shortstop, and not really expected to contribute much offensively- the bottom ten are Francona, Ed Romero, Ozzie Guillen, Curtis Wilkerson, Mickey Hatcher, Craig Reynolds, Rafael Ramirez, Glenn Hoffman, Alfredo Griffin, and Jim Gantner.

Francona also has the fewest runs scored and driven per hit of any major league player over his career; he is followed on that list by Bruce Benedict, Harold Reynolds, Greg Gross, Wilkerson, Mike Scioscia, Jose Oquendo, Ron Oester, Jose Uribe, and Damaso Garcia. Those middle infielders, if they can chip in a single here and there, you're happy with it, but what is it exactly that Francona does?..."

I wonder if this ever comes up around the office at Fenway.