Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

As for your second post, I have way less to respond to, though I did live in a Hawaii for a couple summers w/ my cousins when I was a kid.

In the quote about asian ethnocentrism I intended to say that nationalism is especially prevalent amongst more recent immigrants, and though this Asian pride and self-centeredness you describe may be real, it is under a pretty different kind of cultural bombardment and weathering in the mainland US than elsewhere. I cannot speak to guam, but I can speak to the persians and interracial marriage being a new concept in terms of acceptability (obviously not from experience but from talking w/ older folks). The Persian preference for other Persians isn't America's fault. I don't think I was trying to say anything about that, but that these attitudes are common amongst new immigrants and are not license to discriminate against them. I also think it's kind of weird to paint the conflict in a simply the persians want no part of whitey light, b/c white guys trying to marry persian immigrants couldn't have exactly been in the majority. I guess from your earlier post, I thought you were trying to say racist white comments against asians are semi ok b/c hey, asians are ethnocentric themselves.