Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Variance & Tilt

I played the other night and was running, for the most part, very cold. I was getting sucked out on fairly often. I usually don't find this to be too frustrating, but I usually catch these card chasers for some large pots. This evening I did not. Somewhere in the middle of this session I found myself calling raises with JJ on a semi coordinated board with a K against a rockish player. I felt a little foolish and paid a good chunk of $ to come to this realization. I made some other loose raises that paid off, but it was an all in situation so reverse implied odd didn't come in to play.

This night seemed to be nothing but middle and bottom pairs for me. I might have tried to be more aggressive with these hands, but the table(s) was LP and I was almost sure that 1 or 2 people would call down. CRing wasn't much of a tool as when you checked it would often get checked around. I tried to bet out the turn when a brick hit and I had middle pair, but the calling stations would be there to... well call.

Nights like this make me feel like I'm missing a big part of my game and make me question my play (while I'm playing <- tilt I guess), which makes me start to become passive. I fight it which can them make me aggressive in a less than selective way. It's like over steering a car.

On my dive home I tried to analyze my play. I thought for the most part that I played well, with the exception of few tilty hands. I chalked it up to variance and a little stupidity.

I know it's a bit of a rant, but what do you think?
Move on? Learn how to play marginal hands better? What?