Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: What is good about faith?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brad -

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not adverse to debate at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt it. The only problem is---you're incapable of debate. On issues related to Christianity, you do not possess the cognitive status of a human being. Rather, in Jung's words, you are a "walking personification" of Fundamentalist dogma. You are not illogical, you are sick. And one cannot refute a sickness.

To paraphrase one more eloquent, "You say that you believe in Christ? But what matters Christ? You are His believers---but what matter all believers? You had not yet sought yourselves; and you found Him. Thus do all believers; therefore all faith amounts to so little. Now I bid you---lose Him and find yourselves."

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Jung??

And I guess if being religious makes me "illogical" and "sick" in your view, then I guess I'm doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ]

What country do you live in? Do you seriously not know anything about Jung?

Anyways, I wasn't addressing your beliefs, but rather the way you believe them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of him...I, like the general populace of the world, have better things to do than read psychology books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't exactly be proud to be 37 years old and at the level of the general populace in my ignorance of one the most famous writers in the 20th century on the subject of the human mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. How did you come up with that??

Let me reiterate...I have MUCH better things to do than to sit around reading some psycho babble garbage from some dead guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I know. You have better things to do than read study of human mind from some 20th century dude. Like read the ignorant mystical babble from some dead guys from 2000 years ago. And then dedicate your life to that babble without questioning it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly the response I was expecting....Tell you what. I'll stipulate that this Jung fellow was a great thinker/writer/etc of the 20th century based on your input since I know nothing about him... IF ...you'll stipulate that you've never read the Holy Bible and will take the Christian view that it is correct & is the infallible Word of God. How about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except I was a devout Christian until 17, have read every word of the NT, and most of the OT. And still have a Bible on my shelf that I pull out and peruse every now and again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Devout huh? What happened since then? Which denomination were you?

Sounds like you need to peruse it more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, extremely devout. I was Protestant, then full gospel christian non-denominational. What happened? I opened my mind to see through the smokescreen of religious dogma. I have perused it plenty. But since you are into book recommendations, I recommend you peruse it with a critical eye and read a few other books as well.