Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Very inexperienced player with hand question

Very new to the game, first post on the boards. Im not sure how to convert this hand like your supposed to so bare with me.

Basically it sits that Im small blind, 5 handed and the stakes are 5/10. I get dealt 6c 2h but everyone calls for a family pot, so I check.

Pot is 50 flop comes 10s 6s 2c

Small Blind checks, and I lead out for 40 to try and isolate a top pair and hopefully chase out a draw. Player 3 folds, player 4 calls, player 5 folds and Small blind folds.

So the pot is 130 and the turn makes the board 10s 6s 2c Jd

Now from what Ive learned so far I know looking at this board I most likely have the best hand. A call on the flop was most likely a top pair, or a flush draw. Overpair he wouldve reraised probably, two pair as well...set is unlikely due to no raises preflop. So I feel strong that my bottom 2 pair is the best hand.

However I realize that if he had top pair on flop another 10 or now a Jack gives him the best hand, or if he had a flush draw he still has 9 outs and now theres a possible straight draw. So those 3 hands Im going to try and defend against with my next bet. What should I bet though?

Learning about pot odds, if he has 9 outs for the flush I need to make the odds worse than 4-1 to make the pot odds in my favor if he calls, correct? So I bet 150 to make the pot 280 and giving im less than 2 to 1 odds when at best he can only be sitting at 4-1.

He calls and the river comes a 10. A nightmare card. I bet out 150 and he just calls and shows J 9...so beat me with a higher two pair Jacks and the community 10's.

Where did I go wrong in my thought process where I lost this hand? What should I have done on the flop and turn?