Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Default sending this to my representative. (re: Protect America Act)

Mr. Marshall,

I was disappointed to say the least when I read that the "Protect America" act had passed. I have never emailed any of my elected officials before, and unfortunately, I choose to email now instead of before the votes on this impending law. Not that it was likely to make any difference.

I typically vote republican, but I have been disillusioned in the last few years by the Republican party. They have seemed hell-bent on "winning" in Iraq and winning the "War on Terror", no matter what the cost is in dollars or in lost freedoms to American citizens, or in lost lives of our fine soldiers.

So I voted for you. A democrat who I felt could help change the way our government, and our country, is headed.

Silly me.

I would LOVE to hear your opinion on why you voted for this bill, and would have those in power be able to investigate and spy upon people for no other reason than they can, and without having to prove that they actually have just cause to wiretap. If the need is truly great, do you really believe a warrant would be difficult to get? EVERY SINGLE TIME a bill comes up that goes against what our founding fathers believe, and what our constitution calls for, it gets passed.

In fact, you don't have to respond to me directly, although that would be fine. I'm only one voter, after all. Why don't you consider this carefully and offer a response on your website, or in the Macon telegraph, or in the Atlanta Constitution. I just want an explanation on why you think you did the right thing, and I know your other constituents would like to know as well. I would love to be proven wrong in my beliefs.

But I don't think I'm wrong. This administration does not need any more power. They can't be trusted with the power they already have. While I wait on a response, I leave you with this.

Please Mr. Marshall, just don't be part of the problem.