Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2007, 03:05 AM

Default UTG with JJ late in a 10/180 + Table Image Considerations

Background: One level earlier than the hand in question, I was in MP with JJ, M of 10, moved all-in and picked up the blinds. After showing my hand, another player at the table said "showed his cards cause thats the first time he made an honest raise." I thought this was strange since I had been stealing, but in recent memory had gone to showdown with TT and AK after calling shortstack all-ins.

Nonetheless, I took this to mean that my image was perhaps LAG, which would make stealing in the future difficult. A few hands later, I pick up AA in MP and raise to 3xBB. I figure with the wise guy still to act and my table image being what it is, I'll get action. Nothing doing. I buy the blinds and show my cards (I figure that as the bubble approaches, it's better to get respect for my raises and be able to steal than to wait for a big hand and punish someone who mistakenly thinks I'm LAG).

Now, 27 players left (incidentally, the wise guy from earlier has just busted), I'm in 9th with an M of 12 and I am UTG+2 with T7o. I raise 3xBB and buy the blinds. UTG+1 I pick up 77 and raise 3xBB, buy the blinds. I don't show my cards. Finally, I'm UTG with JJ:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t16360)
BB (t2976)
Hero (t11768)
UTG+1 (t15650)
MP1 (t19945)
MP2 (t25392)
CO (t14956)
Button (t14781)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

What's my play here? Whether or not you agree with my raises on the previous two hands, I think you might agree that they both look like steals and will perhaps cause a raise UTG to be given less credit. JJ is a good but vulnerable holding and I'd probably prefer to just pick up the blinds here. If I raise 3xBB as I did the previous two hands, how will I respond to a reraise which, given my table image, might represent a resteal? If I move all in, will it look suspiciously different from the previous two hands? Does this work to my advantage and perhaps convince LP with A-x to look me up? Is folding an option here since I am perhaps only interested in picking up the blinds, which I can continue doing with ATC in LP? Should I wait till I'm ITM to push hands like this and risk big confrontations? Should I have been showing my cards earlier?

Any and all comments here are welcome. Don't feel like you have to answer all the questions I posed, I'm just looking to spark discussion. Thanks guys.