Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 PM

Default A tragically unavoidable WSOP bust-out? Or did I deserve my fate?

This has been grating on me since it happened … apologies if the answer is painfully obvious – your correspondent is a self-confessed learner.

$1,500 NLHE WSOP event. My annual summer VegasVacation and only WSOP event for the year. All players are strangers to one another. Your correspondent folds his first half dozen hands as utterly unplayable. Wakes up with red Kings in EP, makes a standard 3BB raise. Everyone folds except one player – no read on him whatsoever, beyond that he’s not visibly drooling or muttering audibly to himself. He has been relatively quiet, but – again – this is only the 7th hand.

Flop comes three unpaired undercards; two spades, no obvious straightening potential. Your correspondent makes a bet of about 2/3 the size of the pot. Other player calls. Turn card is (of course) the best/worst card in the deck: the king of spades. Your correspondent checks; villain promptly goes all-in, correspondent has him covered to the tune of about $50. Your correspondent calls with a sense of impending doom/feverish anticipation (in the event that the all-in was just a move given the flush potential on the board).

Doom is confirmed when the villain’s flush is revealed (he had Q8s or Q7s, as I recall). River failed to pair the board, and I was off to the buffet several hours ahead of schedule.

I don't believe that simply shoving on the flop to protect against the possibility of the flush draw would have been optimum. Any other spade on the turn and I might have have been able to get away from the hand in the face of an all-in ... but folding top set in this situation in the absence of any reliable reads?