Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2007, 07:57 AM

Default My Game is a MESS - HELP

Summary – I turned a Donkey that broke even with HUGE money swings into a solid player who broke even with tiny money swings and a bigger investment.

Game - TEXAS HOLDEM

I have been a roller coaster of a poker player my entire 4 years of playing and have recorded big wins and equally big loses on 3-6, 4-8, 8-16, 9-18, 100NL and 40NL.

Over the last year I have patched up some significant holes and my game and have learned to play tight-aggressive, be more patient/less emotional and smart. I play great poker and it has been noticed by my peers when I am crushing our house games.

Since my improvement I have been seeing myself win almost EVEN money in the same pattern as before I worked on my game but much smaller dollar amounts, and its driving me CRAZY!!!!

Here is what is happening

BEFORE study, practice and game improvement –
Style, Loose Aggressive Donkey
Played limits - $40 NL, 3-6, 4-8, 9-18
Play schedule – compulsive, up to 50 hours per month logged, 12 hour sessions,

Would see cash swings averaging $300-700 dollars per session. Example - I would come out 500 ahead, and then bleed it out over the course of the following sessions.

After Game Improvement –
Style, Tight Aggressive, Minimal tilt, premium hand selection,
Played Limits – 8-16, 4-8 3-6 40NL
5 to 8 hour planned sessions totaling no more than 20 – hours per month
I have conducted some hardcore book study and some good online sessions thanks 2plus 2!.

Now I am seeing cash swings in the area of 50-100 dollars. Example – Buying into am 8-16 game for $400 and coming out $160 ahead, Losing 200 on 6-12. Winning 100 on $40, losing 200 on 6-12. Winning 100 on $40, losing 80 on the 40, and etc.

I am breaking even and having smaller wins. Its like I am not even there. I have had a couple friends analyze this for me and were all stumped. Whats even worse is that I give them advice on how to crush the 40 game, and they use it and WIN BIG….but someone I still manage to come out with nothing. I am running bad and due for a big win? Do I need to start over and move down to 2-4? Start playing Omaha or stud?/????

HELP
Things to factor -- I don't play as much as I used to, due to work and family life, but still manage to log 5-10 hours a week sometimes.

I have had some simply improbable, sickening case card bad beats multiple times