Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2007, 06:08 AM

Default NLHTAP - When they say Usually Call ...

The tiny little bit I know about poker has come mainly from 2+2 books or this forum, so thanks to all you guys for the help you’ve given me in the past.

Last Monday I was surprised to discover that I was getting a little bit bored with Limit hold ‘em, so I decided to dip my little toe into the choppy waters that are No-Limit.

The best way I can describe it is like the move from draughts/checkers to chess. It’s a ton more interesting but you’re awfully aware of just how little you know about the new game.

I’m currently donking it up at $0.02/$0.04 trying to get my head around the differences between Limit and No-Limit.

I bought a few books, including NLHTAP and PNL. (I’m on holiday this week, so plenty of time for reading.)

PNL contains a ton of good stuff, I’m sure – I’ve read the first three-quarters - but right now I have other, much simpler things to sort out about my game – a baby needs to crawl before it can walk, let alone try to run the hundred metres, right?

Which brings me nicely onto starting hand charts.

Now, I’m sure a lot of you guys will laugh at a question about starting hand charts, and it is kind of funny, but I found the Pre-Flop Strategy section in NLHTAP particularly useful for trying to get my NoLimit career off the ground.

But I’ve got a question.

In the Pre-Flop Strategy section, I understand what is meant by Usually Fold, Usually Raise, Usually Limp – they’re all perfectly well explained in the text.

But on page 129, when Someone Has Opened for a Raise, No Callers Yet, what do
Sklansky and Miller mean when they say Usually Call?

Do they mean Call 80% and Fold 20% or is it Call 80%, Fold 10% and Raise 10%?

Thanks again for your help.