Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: [General] When should you be using this line?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
something like 2nd or 3rd set vs a decent villain who raised preflop & board is A or K rainbow unpaired.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a perfect example of a spot where like half the forum does this even though it makes no sense. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I hear what you're saying, but the board itself also makes a difference...especially if your opponent had a good (but worse) hand and a draw, it's very possible that he'll check through when the river doesn't improve him, but call your lead bet. For example, A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on an A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] board. And yes, I have seen otherwise decent opponents go crazy on the turn holding that hand.

Admittedly, I'm much more apt to bet/call with bottom set than I am with 2nd or 3rd set, especially when that 2nd or 3rd set is also the 2nd or 3rd nuts. Sometimes you just have to accept that you're destined to lose a lot of chips if he's got you beat, and that you're still going to come out ahead in the long run by making that river 3bet.

One other (small) factor that might make me bet/call the river when I have reason to believe my opponent has a higher set, vs. check/call, is that I like to establish myself as a highly aggressive player who's not afraid to push my edges. I want to intimidate my opponents, or at least the good ones, and in so doing get them to allow me to play my hands close to perfectly from an FTOPS standpoint. Although that & anything relating to "metagame" has little if any merits in the lower micro-stakes.