Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Starting at the bottom. $2NL 6-max at PokerStars.

Basically, I'm trying to build a bank roll and learn to play 6-max cash on PokerStars. My rules as far as bank roll go, is that I must have more than 2000 big blinds to play in any cash game (so for $2NL, that's $40, I've got about $70), 20 times the buyin (including rake) to play a STT, and 50 times to play a MTT. I'm very strict about my bankroll rules, and I won't break them.

At one point I had enough to move up to $5NL, I did so, and instantly took a bad beat (floped the nut Full House, with AK, all-in, 44 calls, turn 4, river 4, grrr). PokerTracker tells me I'm up about 16 bucks on $2NL after 11K hands. I was about double that amount, but I've just had a string of really pricey outdraws; that's life.

I've read a lot of stuff, including the FTR forums, and some other strategy guides around the web. They've all been helpful, for sure, but it seems to me that any decently written guide, or good piece of advice I find is only applicable against players who can play at least a bit. Basically they're mainly aimed at $100NL+, and don't really apply to players who are making decision based less on their cards/position, and more on what they had for lunch that day. How can I read someone who one minute checks the nuts, and the next calls me all in with 83o? How can I figure out the structure of someone's play, if it has no structure at all?

What I'm looking for is some basic strategy advice geared towards the micro stakes, so that I can beat it, build a roll, and move up.

Other questions - is there any difference in play between $2NL 6-max on Stars, and 5$NL 6-max? Is my 2000 BB BR rule sound? Is it overkill/underkill?

My PT stats for $2NL After 11k hands (I believe these are the relevent ones):
VPIP - 25, PF Raise - 3.7, Total AF - 0.74.

Is that about right for the game I'm playing? If not, how not?

My ultimate goal is to eventually move up through the limits to $100NL, and consistently beat it. For that I need a roll, and I want to build it from next to scratch. (I'm pretty sure if I loaded 2k of my own money and went straight on to $100NL, It'd all be gone in a week).

I'm basically a begginer, compared to a lot of the people on here, and if anyone could give me some decent advice, I'd appreciate it greatly.