Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Dell vs Mac for Poker/Business

Hi,

We're buying a new laptop for our business, and choosing which to buy, I'm trying to consider not only biz-related issues, but poker-related issues as well.

For our work, I really need 2gb (expandable to 4gb) of RAM, and 2.33GhZ or so.

Thus, I've narrowed down to the MacBook Pro or the top-notch Dell, both of which are about 2900 with the best 17" glossy screen, etc.

There are a couple of things I just can't resolve, though - and everyone is giving me different information:

1. Just for purposes of not getting viruses, isn't a Mac a better deal than an equivalently priced PC?

2. I prefer BoDog to the Mac-able sites such as Full Tilt. Someone at CompUSA is trying to tell me that "the new Mac is like a PC too, you can run anything by running it in 'PC format'". Is this true? Can I thus play on BoDog on a Mac?

3. Does doing (2), if it exists, open the Mac to those viruses that I thought I was immune from (in 1)?

Also, if anyone knows of a cheaper way to get the speed/power I'd like (I really only care about 2gb+, expandable to 4gb, 2.33MhZ+, etc... I dont need any other funky features) - I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks.

PC