Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Value Maximization and Psychology

Tonight, a very interesting hand came up to illustrate a major problem I have in terms of poker psychology that I really can't stand:

I had been playing for an hour, NL50, with a real donkey to my right. He's been playing super goofy. And, I've been struggling at the table in general, just getting sucky, sucky hands.

This hand against him didn't put me on tilt or anything, but it's important for later in the discussion:

DonkVillain, CO ($72.50)
Hero, Button ($49.50)

Folds to DonkVillain who limps, Hero raises to $2.25 with QQ, folds, Donkvillain calls.

Flop: A 2 8r
DonkVill checks, Hero checks

Turn: 6
DonkVill bets 3.25, Hero calls.

River: 6
DonkVill bets 6.50, Hero calls.

DonkVill shows J6o.

Anyway, about an hour goes by of a lot of frustrating hands and the following comes up.

DonkVill, SB ($82.75)
Hero, BB ($50)

DonkVill raises to 1.50, Hero with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] raises to 5, Donk Vill calls

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Donk. Vill checks, Hero bets 5, Donk. Vill calls

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets 14, Donk. Vill calls

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Donk Vill. bets 16.75, Hero calls.

If I push, it's $11 more. Seems like an easy push, right? I mean, I have KK, he could have QQ, he could have AJo, hell KJ, he could have some totally retarted bluff (not that likely, but still); but I'm definitely calling, so I should maximize value here, right? Seems kinduv obvious. But, that really tough hour breathed this inherent pessism into me and I said "[censored], he has a 2, he's weird, so I might as well save the 11 because if I push and he calls, I'm beat and it would suck."

Somebody explain this to me. Normally, I push, but I made this really weak play that was based on emotion and just totally messed up. And I tend to miss value on rivers like this from time to time.

Barry