Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: As played, action on turn?
Bet 78 80.41%
Check 19 19.59%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Do you win at 6/12 at the Bay 101?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ok, your done giving bad advice. Anyone advising cookie cutter approach to poker should be listening to the advice,

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave cookie-cutter advice? Did you skip the point where I said you have to know when to 3-bet AQ and when to fold it preflop? That you have to know when to 3-bet middle pair? That you have to know when to check-raise TPNK vs. betting out? I think the point of these ideas is that poker is NOT cookie-cutter.

Nowhere did I say limit hold'em is only about preflop play, would you re-read my post with 4 basic points on what it takes to beat a 6-12 game? I'm pretty sure 1/4 points are about preflop play.

[ QUOTE ]

And there is nowhere that I can ever recall in that book where it advises 3-betting KQs,

[/ QUOTE ]

Page 83.

Geez, talk about poor advice, you're recommending the guy read HGIYLHE and Stox book. Those books are for a completely different game than the 6-12 Bay101 game. I have those books and they're great for middle limit + games, but the guy can't even beat 6-12 and doesn't know how to play SSHE-style and you're recommending him shorthanded/middle limit+ books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me jump in the middle and make a comment here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] fwiw - I have both the Stox and the HGIYLHE and the are collecting dust on my book shelf. I have perused Stox and know that it does not apply at all to the bay 101 6/12 game. The HGIYLHE is for 20/40+ so I studied that and got most of the questions correct but again it does not apply so I set it aside for later. I use WLLH by Jones', ITH by Hilger, and SSH by Miller et all as references. So, I take recommendations at they come an use what is applicable.

Captain R, I appreciate you advice here. Thanks. SSH has a very specific application against certain players in certain situations. But, it must be mastered and used appropriately. WLLH and ITH are the basic books for ABC poker. In fact, SSH says it is for players that are winning and want to win more by using expert play. The key is winning players.

I plan to study the 3 books listed more with some play mixed in. The area that I need to improve is to use the correct strategy against the right opponent. e.g. bet for value against a calling station and do not try to bluff them. Check the river against a tight player in the right circumstances. etc.

I am not sure where Sklansky's HPFAP falls into this mix or even TOP and "Getting the best of it" for that fact.

But, before I can fully use SSHE strategies I need to be a consistent winner using ABC poker. BTW. I am enjoying the 3rd re-read of the SSHE. Miller/Sklansky/malmuth are bright guys.