Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Soccer: How about owning your own club?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just signed up. However, they aren't asking for the money until the team is taken over. I hate soccer, but whatever, this is an exact business idea I've seriously considered before (except I was thinking of other sports), so I'll support these guys and see how it goes before I even begin to go through the process of getting something like this going in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was going to include in my original post about baseball truly being the only sport that I could see this work. I don't envision soccer as being the proper sport but I do wish this club well.

Obviously, purchasing an MLB club would be out of the question due to not only the cost but due to the current owner's deciding whether someone can purchase a club or not. See Mark Cuban.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was always my biggest hurdle when thinking about this. I was almost thinking to start with a minor league team (for whatever sport) and then by running that great for a few years, the pro league could give consideration to a group of random internet investors.

Really, community owned pro teams aren't a novel concept in the US: the Green Bay Packers are community owned. However, that's a special situation that was created long ago.

Actually, I'm thinking maybe the AFL could use the publicity of such a stunt, and the team would be affordable to run. It would help to at least have a team that would have some national coverage to appease all the investors, so AFL>Minor League Baseball.